Human Trafficking is a serious problem. Statistics are alarming. Consider:
- The International Labor Organization (ILO) estimates there are over 27 million people trafficked in the world, with over 1/2 million in the US.
- Human Trafficking has been reported in all 50 states. The National Human Trafficking Hotline has received 115 calls from Iowa alone this year so far.
- All of our area Police Departments, both hospital Emergency Rooms, the Child Protection Center, numerous health clinics, Foundation 2, Mission of Hope, Bridgehaven, several churches, Iowa Legal Aid, Iowa Kids Net, Cedar Valley Friends of the Family, Waypoint and others, have all reported serving Human Trafficking victims in the Cedar Rapids area.
- Victims are young children, teenagers, men and women.
- Hope for Justice reports they have rescued children less than one year old...to adults over 63.
- 98-99% of victims are NEVER RESCUED.
- The average life expectancy once trafficked is SEVEN (7) years.
- The average cost of a human slave (trafficked victim) worldwide is $90.
- 1 out of every 3 teenagers on the streets, is lured towards "prostitution" within 48 hours. The Iowa Attorney General's Office stated the Iowa experience is within 36 hours, and almost every child they have assisted out of Human Trafficking has been a runaway.
- In 1 study, 74% of victims of Human Trafficking said they were in the Foster Care System. There are currently >415,000 children currently in the Foster Care System in the US...with over 615 referrals made in the Cedar Rapids area over the last year.
"The White Umbrella" by Mary Frances Bowley
"Renting Lacy" by Linda Smith
"Girls Like Us" by Rachel Loyd
"The Natashas" by Victor Malarek
"The Johns" by Victor Malarek
"God in a Brothel" by Daniel Walker
"Why Johnny Can't Come Home" by Noreen Gosch
"Your Brain on Porn..." by Gary Wilson
"Nefarious: Merchant of Souls"
"Caged No More"
"In Plain Sight"
"Trade of Innocents"
"Half the Sky"